History about Oriental Mindoro and Puerto Galera
Calapan Oriental Mindoro and its capital is the seventh largest island in the Philippine archipelago. It is the first and oldest island formation of all the islands of the Philippines. It was pushed 50 million years ago from the sea floor boards up.
For over 60 years of Oriental Mindoro is considered to be an ideal place for study, zoologists, botanists and students of the Philippines. The unspoiled nature provides ideal conditions for studying the ecostructure of animals, plants and microorganisms. In 1934 the University was built here in the Philippines, a biological station.
40 years later the UN Man and Biosphere program in Puerto Galera has appointed a nature center. Around the same time many were built accommodation for the increasing number of tourists.
In the church grounds of Puerto Galera you will find the archaeological museum that was built jointly by U.S. peace organization and the National Museum. Here you will find porcelain from the Ming dynasty as well as other ancient relics from the Spanish and Chinese trading time.
50.000 Mangyans, the aborigines of Mindoro belong to the original Malay race, which before 2500 to 3000 years supplanted the Negritos who lived here for over 30,000 years. The tribes of the Hanunoo, Buhid, Alangan, Batangan, Tadyawan, bangan, Ratagnan and Irraya Mangyan still live here. In the past, these orchids traded in exchange for food, clothing and dogs. Today they sell for "hard currency" basket of goods.
In 1574, Puerto Galera was a missionary station, the capital of Mindoro. Puerto Galera was originally Lagundian, now a district of Puerto Galera. The Spanish occupiers chose this place because it had a natural safe haven, but it had to move later to its present location. Since then, the "Port of Galleons" uses of boats and yachts for protection against storms.
The well-appointed harbor and the mountains in the back was an excellent protection against pirates and robbers. Watchtowers were built on the hilltops. Warehouses, headquarters for the military and local government, as well as a wharf were littering and a monastery built by the government and the Catholic Church. One of these rice warehouses began one night fire. The rumors say that you can still fish some burnt rice grains from the lake on the quay, which originate from this period.
The agricultural possibilities for the Spaniards were more interesting. So they moved the capital of Mindoro in 1837 to 40 km from Calapan, which today is the capital again. Puerto Galera was left only a small staff of Spaniards to the so-called "cabesa" or "capitan del pueblo" was then declared a "governador". He had to make the task of peace and order in the next area and taxes, as well as others collect tribute.
Among the Philippine people, the so-called "Gobernadorcillos", were Jose Salamat, Juan Quinto, Aguido Cobarrubias and Hilarion Axalan keep in memory. During this time the Spanish warship "Canonero Mariveles" was stationed in Puerto Galera, in order to protect the harbor against attacks of any kind. However, on 18 November 1879, it sank in a violent storm off the west coast of Puerto Galera. A cross was hölzerneres "pesaron los que tierra Ultima tripolantes del 18 de Noviembre El Canonero Mariveles de 1879, Memoria de sus Campanero" in memory of the crew and the ship in the center of "littering" with the inscription erected. The best-known relic of Puerto Galera, it was restored in 1938 by the Spaniard Luis Gomez y Sotto.
In 1898 -1900, and among the leaders of Miguel Estanislao Cobarrubias Sr., took revolutionaries of Puerto Galera played an important part in the overthrow of the Spanish occupation.
During the American occupation was Captain Robert Offley used as a governor, and made the capital of Mindoro Puerto Galera again. In 1905, the reversed and in 1916 as a "district" and in 1919 declared a city with Isidro Suzara as mayor. On 21 February 1928 it became an independent city with Anacleto Atienza as first mayor. Estanislao Cobarrubias Sr. was the last mayor of the civilian government and the "Commonwealth" government.
On 27 Puerto Galera was occupied in February 1942 by the Japanese Air Force.
Leoncio Axalan remained in office longer than expected. He stayed because of his honesty and his courage over 1942 to 1946, also in office. It really took a lot of courage during this time, because he next political opposition and the Japanese and the revolutionaries had to face. After the liberation in 1946 appointed Governor Arturo Ignacio, Rafael Garcia, mayor of Puerto Galera. In 1948, Estanislao Brucal was an officer in the guerrilla unit in Mindoro during the Japanese occupation of the first elected mayor.
In 1972, during his third term, has the mayor Rogelio Cataquis towns Sto. Niño and Villaflor created.
On 26 December 1973 was President Ferdinand E. Marcos Puerto Galera to the Marine Reserve and habitat under the program of UNESCO.
OCT Travel Philippines & Hemingway's Bistrot (operated by WolFred Services Inc.)
Sabang Beach, Puerto Galera, Oriental Mindoro, 5203 Philippines
Office: +63 43 287 3560 or Mobile: +63 920 2060 553, International: +49 7462 405 9444
Copyright © 2000 Wolfgang Martin. Alle Rechte vorbehalten.
Stand: 6 August, 2012